Your Guide to Going Solar
May 6, 2021
You may be considering the option of adding a solar energy system to your home’s roof or finding another way to harness the sun’s energy to help power your home. While rooftop solar certainly works for many people, there’s no one-size-fits-all solar solution. Homeowners should fully understand its true costs, the operational reality of this form of energy, along with the potential energy savings it could provide before making the decision to go solar.
As your trusted energy advisor, helping you make informed decisions is important to us at Union Power, so we recommend giving us a call first to help you assess whether rooftop solar is right for your specific situation. When considering solar, you must consider the overall energy efficiency of the home/building, the age and pitch of the roof orientation of the sun in relation to the home/building, tree coverage near the home/building, and weather patterns for the region.
Along with general questions like, “Is my home suitable for solar panels?”, “How much power can I generate with solar?”, and “Will I save money by going solar?”, a Union Power energy advisor will also discuss the many financial considerations:
- Is there a large, up-front payment required, or are fees spread out over time?
- Will the homeowner own the panels or will they be leased?
- Are there any hidden costs, i.e., does the roof need to be replaced before installing the panels?
- Are there ongoing maintenance fees? Are there rebates or other financial incentives available?
- Is the estimated energy savings worth the investment?
- Is it more cost-effective to invest in other energy-saving measures?
We advise you to set goals of what you want to achieve with a solar system. Take your time and do your research to determine if an investment in solar makes sense to help you achieve those goals. As always, we stand ready to help our members make the best decisions. Feel free to call and speak with one of our energy advisors at 704-289-3145.