Staying Prepared in Our Peak of Hurricane Season
September 14, 2022
Hurricane season here in North Carolina spans across almost three months. With entering September, we have reached the peak of the season. From the past, we know that just because we may not be on the coast a hurricane can have a huge impact in the piedmont region. As our late afternoon and evening storms increase with high temperature making them more severe, it is important to remember how to stay safe and prepared during this month.
Union Power is always prepared to respond to outages as quickly and safely as possible. While we are working to get you lights back on, here are something’s you can do to help speed up the process:
- Make sure to report an outage. Call in at 1-800-794-4423. This will help us let our crews know where to respond so that you can have power during a storm.
- Have a plan. It is always good to know what to do during any sort of situation involving a hurricane. Consider every scenario and what you might do if one where to become a reality. Achieving this can be easily by creating a list of supplies you might need, locations to take shelter in, and even a communication plan in case of an urgent emergency.
- Make sure to follow along with local weather reports during a storm so you can know as much information as possible.
- Follow Union Power Cooperative on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter to stay updated with information about the weather, outages, and any other information you might need.
Members are encouraged to always report and outage. We also want to remind our members to never go near or drive over drowned power lines, as they may remain energized.
Make a plan, and stay safe!
Preparing your home for a hurricane.
- Move lawn furniture into a sheltered location
- This includes bikes, grills, furniture, and propane tanks
- Secure any loose objects.
- Cover up your windows and doors.
- Take inventory of your property in case of anything being destroyed.
- Trim any trees near the home.