Safe Décor Tips for a Happy Holiday Season
November 23, 2021
It’s almost time to deck those halls! Statistics show that home fires and electrical accidents typically increase during winter months, so keep these holiday lighting tips in mind for a safe holiday season.
- Carefully inspect your holiday decorations. Carefully inspect all electrical decorations before you use them. Damaged sockets and loose or exposed wires can cause serious shock or start a fire.
- Purchase LED lights. If you’re shopping for new holiday décor, LED lights are your best bet for safety and efficiency! LEDs use less energy and run cooler than traditional incandescent lights.
- Carefully choose how and where you hang holiday lights. Stringing up lights this holiday season? Never mount or support light strings in a way that might damage the cord’s insulation. Also make sure cords are not pinched in doors, windows, or under heavy furniture, which could damage the cord’s insulation.
- Unplug all electrical decorations. Broken bulb? No problem! Just remember to always unplug before replacing bulbs or fuses.
- Turn off all decorations. When you go to sleep, your decorations should, too. Turn off all indoor and outdoor electrical decorations before turning in for the night or leaving home.
Safety is a top priority here at Union Power, and we encourage our members to practice safety while celebrating this holiday season. Taking a little extra time to ensure you and your family’s safety will help make your holidays even brighter.