Five Ways to Save This Summer
April 8, 2023
Spring and summer are excellent times for home upgrades and DIY projects. When planning to make home improvements, consider upgrades that promote better efficiency.
Here are a few projects that can help you save energy and money to increase the comfort of your home.
- Install a smart thermostat to manage your home energy use and keep summer bills in check. Smart thermostats are easy to install and control your heating and cooling system from your phone. You can purchase an ENERGY STAR®-certified smart thermostat, saving on annual heating and cooling costs. This upgrade will quickly pay for itself, and you’ll gain insight into better ways to heat and cool your home.
- LED bulbs offer convenient control and help boost energy savings throughout the home. In addition, smart lights can be used outside to illuminate your home at night and when you’re out of town for better security. With smart lighting, you can create a schedule for when and how your lights should be turned on or off.
- Sealing air leaks around your home is a simple, effective way to save energy and lower your bills. Applying new (or replacing old) weather stripping around doors and windows can instantly make your home more comfortable and reduce energy waste. Using caulk to fill gaps in various areas, including windows, doors, bathtubs, and sinks, can also improve the seal of your home.
- Insulation is another efficiency upgrade that can significantly impact energy use and costs. The cost of new insulation depends on various factors, like materials, the size of the home, and whether you use a contractor. With this project, your home will immediately feel more comfortable.
- Replacing old appliances with ENERGY-STAR® models or replacing old, leaky windows with new, energy-efficient ones can help improve the home’s efficiency.
If you want to make your home more energy efficient but need help figuring out where to start, contact our energy specialist at 704-289-3145, or visit union-power.com/auditmyhome.