At the Heart of Our Co-op Are Our Members
February 13, 2022
We Love Serving You
February may be the shortest month, but it’s packed with special observances like Presidents’ Day, Black History Month, and Valentine’s Day, in addition to a host of unofficial “national” days you’ve probably never heard of. But they all have something in common. They were created to highlight a particular issue, theme, or honor what makes each of those days worthy of celebration.
Our members are at the heart of everything we do at the Co-op, and this February, we would like to highlight the top five reasons we love serving you, the members of Union Power.
- We love serving our members because the co-op wouldn’t exist without you. Our purpose is to provide you with reliable, responsible, and safe electricity. Simply put, Union Power exists to serve you. That’s why we were formed on February 22, 1939—to bring power to our local area when for-profit utilities would not.
- You enable us to complete our mission by supporting our efforts to give back. A major part of our mission is to serve our community and look after the greater good. With your assistance, we’re able to help the most vulnerable members of our community through food and toy drives and programs like Power Bucks that help local families pay their energy bills when times are tough.
- Members of our Co-op also serve on the board of directors. They provide guidance for setting Co-op priorities and helping make big decisions. Because our board members live in the area, they’re able to serve as the pulse of the larger community and identify immediate and long-term needs. The broader Co-op membership provides helpful input through their vote on director elections and weighing in on Co-op and community issues.
- You help us get it right. Union Power members are great about keeping us in the know. We do our best to avoid power outages, but Mother Nature can occasionally throw us a curveball; our members are quick to report any power disruptions and are patient as our crews work to restore power safely restore power. We know outages are frustrating, and your support as we work through storms means so much to our employees. We also appreciate your feedback on Co-op programs and services. Your opinions are critical for the Co-op’s success, and we thank you for that.
- You and other Union Power members make up the community we serve—and for us, it’s all about community. Our employees live and work here, too, and care about our community the same way you do. We’re invested and work to help it thrive. That’s why Union Power donates to local charities, schools, and scholarship funds. It’s also why we invest in economic development and why you’ll see our employees volunteering at local schools and other charitable and community endeavors.
As a co-op, our mission is to enhance the quality of life in our community and look after its long-term interests. We love serving our members and our local community, and just like you, we want to see it continue to thrive.