Union Power Cooperative is proud to sponsor three students for the North Carolina Electric Cooperative Youth Tour in Washington, D.C. The dates will be Saturday, June 20 through Friday, June 26, 2020.
Approximately 45 young leaders from North Carolina will join 1,800 students from across the country for a week of learning about our nation’s history and the importance of civic engagement.
In June 2019, local students Grace Coleman, Scott Hoover, and Evan Martino represented Union Power Cooperative on this year’s tour. Out of dozens of applications, these three students earned the opportunity to attend after writing an essay and completing an in-person interview with the selection committee.
About Youth Tour
The Electric Cooperative Youth Tour is an annual event coordinated by the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) and the North Carolina Association of Electric Cooperatives (NCAEC). “Tourists” are sponsored by local cooperatives. These students learn about the electric cooperative business model, American history, and U.S. government.
THREE high school juniors have the opportunity to travel to Washington, D.C. in June, representing Union Power and the state of North Carolina during this once-in-a-lifetime experience!
- Tour dates are Saturday, June 20 through Friday, June 26, 2020.
- Students must be a junior in the current school year.
- Students may be selected from our five-county service area, which is made up of Union, Stanly, Cabarrus, Mecklenburg, and Rowan counties.
- Transportation to Raleigh must be provided the day before the tour to Washington, D.C.
- Youth tourists are required to travel to and from Washington D.C. with the NCEMC Youth Tour group.
- Children of Union Power employees and its subsidiary, Union Services, are not eligible to apply.
- Click for an application – deadline to apply is December 31, 2019.
For More Information contact:
Program Coordinator, 704-220-0703