Underground Line Facts:
- About 48% of Union Power’s active lines (approximately 2,800 miles) are underground.
- Nearly 90% of new lines being installed are underground lines.
- Though these lines are not as affected by storms and ice, their installation takes more time, and equipment/construction is generally more expensive. In addition, specialized equipment is needed to maintain and repair underground lines.
- Because of their location, underground lines may take longer to repair during outages.
- Underground lines are buried from 30-48 inches beneath the surface. However, these distances can change if additional grading is done to the property after installation is completed.